A long time was spent restoring the Larson House in McFarland, and last fall there was a sneak preview of progress made up to that point. The grand opening was May 24-25th of this year.
John Larson was the 3rd owner of this house. He bought it in 1911 and has been in the family over 100 years. Now it is open and ready for tours from 1-4 PM between Memorial and Labor Day. Tours are free but donations encouraged, a few books about the house and McFarland history are also for sale.
We begin our tour as we go inside, we see the beautiful stained glass window you see here at the stairway landing.
On the main floor is also the living room (picture by Larson House staff) and the kitchen.
Pantry in the kitchen
Also the Parlor and Dining Room. The wallpaper is original to the home!
On the left side of the room is John Larson’s Psalmodikon instrument from Norway, his homeland. Here is what is sounds like. It is a one-string instrument that can be either plucked or played with a violin bow.
Now we head upstairs to see the other rooms.
The largest is what may have been the master bedroom, and it is octagon-shaped, a popular feature at the time. Hanging up is a Norwegian dress. The three windows are facing the street.
Another bedroom. The bureau and mirror are original to the house.
Our tour here has reached it’s conclusion. We really enjoyed our visit here and we hope to come for any special events here in the future.