1-12-14 and 12-13-15
The Nathaniel Dean House is an important part of early Blooming Grove history and has been preserved by the Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society since 1973. Dean was one of the first settlers of Blooming Grove, the house built in 1856. Blooming Grove was founded in 1850 from the east half of the formerly much-larger Town of Madison. Reverend John Miller named the town Blooming Grove because he thought the flowers blooming in the oak openings reminded him of an orchard.¹
It is located on 4718 Monona Drive in Madison.
On the 2nd Sunday of the month between May and October and December the Nathaniel Dean House is open to visitors.
During the Fall and Winter (Oct & Nov, Jan – April) they are now are partnering with the Monona Public Library to sponsor a Monona History Club series of programs. see their web site calendar for details.
Donations of $2.00 per person requested for continued restorations. In the summer “Back Porch Concerts” entertain visitors for 6 weeks, a donation is welcomed here also to support the Dean House. They thank you very much!
Curator Ann Waidelich and Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society member Gary Hess conducted our tour. We really did learn a lot about how a farmhouse of the late 1800’s looked and worked, complete with many artifacts.
The tour began in the living room. A transcript of the tour in detail can be read here. The beautiful dollhouse shows how a Victorian home looks in miniature. Portraits of Nathaniel and his wife Harriet flank both sides of the room.
The dining room behind us shows a table, set for 8 with Tea Leaf china.
On the other side of the room is a pump organ with some period music.
We now head to the Formal Parlor across the hall, only opened when special guests come calling.
Then we went upstairs to the Hiestand-McKenna Bedroom.
Other rooms upstairs were the Family bedroom and Children’s room visible through a door in the Master.
The Children’s room had two jars of antique marbles and child’s sewing machine. Also a couple of school desks and early books that represent the 6 original rural schools in the Township of Blooming Grove.
The last room upstairs that our guide Ann Waidelich took us to was the Museum Room where Gary Hess showed us a collection of cooper’s tools and wooden beer barrels and told us about his family’s heritage of being Coopers (wooden barrel makers) in Madison. His grandfather emigrated to America from Bohemia and produced white oak beer barrels in Madison until 1966. The Fauerbach Brewery used their barrels. Here is a beer bottle from Fauerbach, we have one that we found while scuba diving. Gary was instrumental in getting a two-sided historical marker placed at the site of the Cooperage at Schenk’s Corners (intersection of Atwood Ave. & Winnebago St.). He is in the process of writing a book about the Cooperage, Ann is his editor. The book was finished during the Christmas Open House I attended on December 13, 2015.
Our last room was the kitchen and pantry, with a variety of antique kitchen gadgets. Some were hard to guess! The water pump at the sink still works! Here is a full-sized wood- burning stove in the kitchen.
We thoroughly enjoyed our tour, and plan on coming back often as we can. Thank you Ann and Gary for the educational afternoon.
New members always welcome. Email at email@example.com to learn more. Also come here to learn more about the Historic Society.
1. Historic Madison – A Journal of the Four Lakes Region, Vol. XIII, 1996, pg. 5
Related Sites and Articles